Tuesday, August 27, 2013

CANON G15 or SAMSUNG EX2F

Right, I shouldn’t went shops to self-test the EX2F since I have already decided not to buy it. I must salute temptation and human greed, because I clearly failed to control myself.  I still went ahead to hold the camera and test shot a few photos. It is really NICE!! Hahaha… the feel, the weight, the wifi and the f1.4 bright lens kept attracting me to look towards it direction. Still, the price is the greatest stopping factor.
 
Another camera which I fancy is G15. The handling experience is similar to my DSLR. The quality is top-notch. However, G15 lacks swivel screen and wifi which kind of the main attraction for me in terms of a compact camera. Although these 2 features are not the really important details to consider as a camera on a whole, but since I am going to Norway alone, easy self-portrait is key. 
 
So really, what should I buy? G15 vs EX2F? Quality vs wifi/self-protrait.
Or should I just save the bucks and bring my DSLR?
 
AIYO!!
 
Here is a brief review of G15:
Now, with the launch of the G15, Canon has added back one of the original selling points of the G-series; a genuinely fast zoom lens. This covers the same 28-140mm equivalent focal length range as the G12's, but is a stop and a third faster, at F1.8-2.8 rather than F2.8-4.5. This gives the G15 a distinct advantage over its predecessor not only in low light, but also in the ability to blur backgrounds a bit more when shooting at the long end of the zoom.

But while Canon gives with one hand, it takes away with the other. The G15's rear screen is fixed, rather than articulated, a move that Canon says was necessary to make the camera smaller and more pocketable. The G15 is indeed significantly slimmer than its predecessor - by about 15% with the lens retracted - but we can't help but feel that as many potential buyers will be dismayed by the loss of this useful feature as there will be enthusiasts who are delighted by the camera's portability. The G15's screen itself is a large, high-resolution 3" 920k dot unit with a tempered glass cover and a wide viewing angle.

On the right hand flank of the camera - viewed from the back - we find covered ports for HDMI out, an optional remote shutter release cable plus combined USB 2.0/AV out connection. On the bottom is a familiar metal screw thread for a tripod, and a sliding cover for the compartment that houses the lithium-ion battery needed for power and the SD, SDHC or SDXC cards needed for image storage. Curiously, battery life is less impressive than its G11 forebear, at around 350 shots from a full charge rather than 370.

(review taken from dpreview)

No comments:

Post a Comment