Friday, September 6, 2013

CREDIT CARD USAGE IN EUROPE

hub sent me this article last night since I will be flying to Oslo tomorrow. But this is a very good article. this is because 2 years ago I went to Europe and have some difficulties when trying to use the credit card. the sale staff over there tends to ask for your credit card pincode which usually... Singaporeans don't have I suppose.

--
Many people from the U.S, who visit Europe each year, encounter the issue of needing a PIN to use his/her credit card. Many of you (like me initially) try all your cards and end up leaving or using cash. Let me clear up these issues so that my fellow travelers won’t run into these problems any more.

About using

Here is the entire process:

1.) Check whether there is a slot to slide your credit card through. I do not mean the slot which says CHIP, this is for the new cards with smart chips, which I will explain later.

2.) Slide your card (like normally) through the card reader.

Generally:

3.) When the screen, which asks for the code, “kod” (Swedish) pops up. Ask the person at the desk to punch the far right button (usually) to select for the SIGN FOR option.

For Norway:

3.) When the screen, which asks for the code pops up. Press the STOP key . And you should see a screen asking whether you want to sign for the bill pop up on the screen. Press ‘Yes’., 

4.) A person operating at the desk should print out a receipt, which you will sign. The receipt however does have a field for ID.

5.) Just fill in whatever you want for the ID. I love to just write ’12345′ and see if anyone notices :)

About Smart Chip
Many European nations require credit cards with smart chips. If you don’t have one, call up Chase, and ask them since many of their cards now, do have the chips.  These include: BA Visa, Hyatt Visa, and more. 

(copied from Gradamile.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment